How To Develop Your Communication Skills And Be More Empathetic In The Workplace?

People often talk about empathy but very few really understand what it is and how it could help one build better relationships in their lives. Empathy is putting yourself in someone else’s shoes and looking at a particular situation from their point of view. Now, this can be very easily confused with sympathy, wherein a person feels sorry for someone. However, compared to sympathy, empathy is a very powerful tool and can cause many qualitative changes in someone’s lives. In an organisational setting, one often dismisses empathy for reasons like competition, indifference, and sometimes even vindictiveness. However, a well-oiled organisation needs to have employees that are happy, efficient, and emotionally aware of their surroundings. They need to understand the viewpoint of the person they interact with every day and develop a healthy relationship with them. Here are a few things that can make employees and organizations more empathetic. 

 
1. Listen Don’t Interrupt
 
However simple this might sound, this is one of the most difficult things to keep in check in the workplace. Feeling under pressure of deadlines, work commitments etc., it is easy for people to give into it. Often colleagues may not communicate well and be open minded about each other’s’ opinions during the crunch time. In lieu of wanting better performance and results, one often delegate work and responsibilities and doesn’t want to listen to their subordinates or colleagues. It is always good to let someone make their point without interrupting them. One must try to give them a chance to put their opinions forward and listen to what they have to say.

 
2. The 93% Rule of Public Interaction
 
For those who don’t know the 93% Rule, it simply states that if a person is communicating with someone, only 7% of the deemed communication is via verbal mode. The rest 93% is contained in the tone of our voice and our body language. If these are not correct, a harmless, constructive communication can turn out to be hostile and not pleasant for the person you’re talking to. So it is of utmost importance to get the body language correct no matter the situation. Body language for interactions can always be practised in front of the mirror! 

 
3. Take A Personal Stake In Each Interaction You Make
 
In any interaction that you have within the day, try to be a nice person. Make each interaction personal; try to learn the names of every person you interact with and don’t forget to smile. Acknowledge the work of other when it’s due. Never be a harsh critic but a smart one.
 
These are just some of the things one can do to be more empathetic. Becoming so, will help spur similar change in the people around you and help the organisation to become more empathetic overall!
 
Hot Jobs